Sunday, August 14, 2011

Two Years After


Two years ago today, I made one of the biggest decisions in my life:

I embarked on a one-year journey to South Korea.

It represented a defiant abandonment of established norms in my selected career choice and an unapologetic challenge to outside influences. I elected not to labor in the finance industry - which I majored in - rejecting the rigid structure of Corporate Finance and, instead, opting to explore new alternatives abroad.

And dammit, I grappled with that decision: I risked faltering behind other graduates who obtained positions or internships and/or studied for post-graduate education or certifications. Moreover, I wasn't certain exactly how joining the English Persons in Korea (EPIK) program to teach English in a South Korean public school would bolster my resume or business-sense. But that Tuesday morning - consequences be damned - I began the journey toward a new life in South Korea.


It is extremely important to understand, however, that working in Korea did NOT change my life - it was how I utilized this opportunity to unlock new possibilities and challenge my vaporous habits. I read. I wrote. I studied. And I read some more.

I shattered my illusions of stability. And it was incredible.

- New Dreams -

Fueled by the confidence I developed in Korea, I pursed a dream that I previously buried because it clashed with expectations and norms - I decided to live in Taipei.


I aspired to obtain a financial job in Taipei, so I planed to enroll at a school to a) secure a visa, b) buy time while I searched for work, and c) improve my Chinese abilities. Although I never achieved my goal of working in a financial institution (not surprisingly, my technique of door-to-door job interviewing failed), I acquired more than I expected....


....and a few friendships that will last a lifetime.

Furthermore, while in Taiwan, I drastically revolutionized my understanding regarding love and happiness. I also endeavored to launch a business idea, spending hundreds of dollars and devouring hours and hours of time. Ultimately, it failed - that's another funny story - but it taught me a few things; most-importantly, that I possessed the confidence to chase an idea no matter how arduous or how far away it stood.


I would once-again employ that ability in Australia.

- South Korea: One Small Step Giant Leap -

In hindsight, if I did not travel to Korea, I may have never attained the courage to effortlessly jump to new locations and never discovered my abilities hidden within. I might have never pushed the limits of life and gained a wealth of experience. Ultimately, that one-year teaching contract in Incheon mutated into a twenty-three month odyssey around the Pacific Rim.

At the moment, I'm back in Los Angeles, biding my time and searching for work. Although I initially struggled with my return to the United States, I slowly accepted it as an unscheduled detour and an opportunity in disguise. What's next - Australia again? Costa Rica? Malaysia? Argentina? Italy? Antarctica? I have no idea. I'm certain, however, I will be ready when the time arrives.


- Before And After -

Although I experienced a dramatic physical transformation in the last two years, the most radical change occurred internally. In short, I no longer worry about money or the future. I plan, but without craving. I seek, but without desire. Sure, I have a variety of preferences, but I won't suffer if they don't come about.

It wasn't easy, though. You tend to feel lonely when no one shares similar beliefs. When no one sees what you see, and when no one thinks how you think. Sometimes it's frustrating, and sometimes it's magical - crazy to think it's only been two years.


Two amazing years.

No comments:

Post a Comment